Friday, January 20, 2012

Week one complete!

Wow!  I can now proudly say that my first week in IHP is complete.  It definitely has felt like an eternity though... with my hours feeling like days and days feeling like weeks.  But in retrospect we certainly have accomplished a lot thus far.  And looking ahead we only have one more week left in the states!!!

Thursday was a very exploratory day.  We began our research methods course by emerging ourselves into some of DCs most diverse neighborhoods.  I was part of a group that was sent to Southwest DC.  It was very interesting to see the dynamics of this neighborhood.  In terms of commodities there was only one Safeway, one Starbucks, a McDonald's and a CVS in the entire area.  We were also very lucky to find a resident of the area walking nearby.  He was an African American man who had lived in this area for 26 years with his family.  He told us about some of the history of the place and all of the current developments.  Apparently this area was really unsafe before, occupied mostly by an African American population and really underdeveloped.  But as soon as "white people like you (me)" started to move in, the area began improving, becoming safer, and cleaner as well.  Very interesting but very true.  The area is found near the Waterfront which is becoming a huge market attraction for real estate and increasing the neighborhood's value.


I think the most exciting part of the day was going to the Fish Market.  I never thought I would enjoy it, considering my feelings about seafood in general, but I have to say was very intriguing.  The most useful and captivating thing I learned there was how to differentiate between a male and female crab.  Apparently, when you flip a crab over, the male's underside looks like the Washington Monument and the female's underside looks like the Capitol Building (see image below).  Could this have been anymore appropriate for DC? I don't think so! We then had lunch at a place called Jenny's Asian Fusion.  This place was filled with business men and women, a real social hub for lobbyists and other government workers.  Mr. Barack Obama himself even makes his way over to this place (a picture of him and the owner was framed on the wall along with a signed note to Jenny).  How lucky for us to just stumble upon it.


Friday we had a very interesting panel on Community Health Workers in the United States.  I had never really heard of such a role in the health professions and I certainly didn't know what their job entailed.  A CHW is fundamentally a liaison between the physician and the patient, and this role is especially important with patients who have language and/or cultural  barriers.  The panel was very intriguing but the most interesting part came afterwards when we were given time to talk to the CHWs one on one.  I went over to talk to Matilde and Gloria.  Both of these women were Hispanic, Matilde was from Honduras and Gloria was from El Salvador.  I was very surprised to know that both of these women studied in their respective countries and came to get their masters/work in the US knowing hardly any English at all.  As soon as they found out I was Hispanic, by the way I pronounced Guatemala and Argentina, they were ecstatic!  We immediately switched from speaking in English to Spanish, and they asked me all about my family and current educational goals.  I told them my family was from Mexico and that I was a premed student.  Both admired me greatly, knowing from a very personal basis that there is a large deficiency of Hispanics in the health professions.  They were very humble and sincere women, wishing us all a very successful trip.  They kept telling me how lucky I was to be part of this experience and at the end they both gave me a very warm and comforting hug.  I was touched.

No comments:

Post a Comment