Friday, January 13, 2012

DC... Such a small place with loads to explore!

What an adventure has DC been so far!  It took me about two hours to get to my dorm from the airport because of course I was the last one to get dropped off by the shuttle driver, and on top of that he had only a general sense of where I was going (a.k.a. a bit lost).  But once I got there all was good.  =) I met three other girls from my program (Marjorie, Eliza, and Katherine) and since we were all starving by the time we got there, we decided to go out for dinner.  I took on the diplomatic task of looking for a place to eat and figuring out how to get there.  Needless to say I quickly became acquainted with my surroundings and directed us all towards a Thai restaurant (yummm).  Day 1 in DC was a success.

Oh and by the way the Washington Dulles airport was beautiful, so neat and clean looking.  Below is picture of their train system, which apparently takes you to all the different gates and even to baggage claim.  Very effective and cool!


Day 2... The big day.  Today we got to meet all of the students going on the program (30 girls and 5 guys) and faculty as well (lots of names to remember!).  In the morning before our trip to the World Learning Building, we decided to take a quick walk to the Capitol Building (literally 5 blocks away from our dorm).  Amazing view...


After this quick visit our day was packed with activities... all of which started with our arrival to the World Learning Building.  Again (being a good citizen) I took on the task of leading our small group of now 9 students to the nearest metro station, on the Blue line and to 15th and K street.  We made it!  Here is were I was bogged down by loads of introductions and directions on the next up coming days.  It was a lot of fun to meet everyone and to learn more about our trip, however at the same time it was a bit overwhelming and ya just overly overwhelming.

We continued our day with a trip back to the dorm (William Penn House) for dinner and a guest lecture.  Our guest speaker was amazing, Lawrence Guyot was a former civil rights activist from Mississippi who worked right along other famous people including but not limited to MLK (very appropriate for this weekend huh?).  We ended the day with some group bonding time and more ice-breakers.  Overall I would have to say it was a very busy yet interesting and exciting first day!  Can't wait to do and share more with you later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment